Obviously not. But as soon as I read that statement I immediately made the connection that most of my shortcomings in life stem from not feeling good enough, and yes, sometimes even beautiful enough to do things or talk to certain people. This sounds crazy, I know. But when you really think about just how much American culture pushes the importance of a woman being pretty, beautiful, or sexy though any media we experience it makes sense. Even in shows and movies where a woman is a hardworking and smart “career woman” she is thin with perfect hair, perfect skin, and extremely stylish clothes.
Now, I try to keep myself sane and I know that for the most part America’s expectations of what a beautiful woman should look like are ridiculous. But there are many times in my life where I can remember not feeling like I was even worthy to talk to because I was having a bad hair day or because I thought my nose was just too huge! I don’t even want to think about how many other women have felt this way too.
I like to think I have a level head on my shoulders, but I guess we can all get sucked into this trap sometimes. We do live in a very…different generation after all. It takes hard work to push away all of these messages that people and companies send us (buy this or that so you can be better at ____!) But I have to remember that physical appearance is in no way a measure of my true self. It is much more important to develop my inner-self rather than worry about wrinkles, how skinny I am, and what clothes I wear. I hope someday soon the American archetype of beauty will change for the better.
No comments:
Post a Comment